The Tomb of Saint Arnold Janssen
After his death on 15 January 1909 Arnold Janssen
was laid to rest in the chapel in the cemetery of
St. Michael's Mission House (see photo overleaf).
Since his beatification by Pope Paul VI in 1975 his
embalmed body rests in the present tomb in the lower
church of St. Michael's. The tomb is a gift from the
people of Steyl and Tegelen. It was designed by Will
Horsten, an artist from Kevelaer.
Arnold Janssen was canonized by Pope John Paul II
on 5 October 2003 in Rome.
The pillars of Saint Arnold Janssen’s spirituality
are depicted in relief on the sides
of his tomb. The tomb stands on three
legs with a plant growing from each
one, symbolizing the three religious
congregations that Arnold Janssen
founded. The plant on the front
may also recall the burning
bush, through which God
spoke to Moses.
The bright colours in the window behind the tomb
depict a favourite theme of Arnold Janssen: “May the
darkness of sin and the night of unbelief vanish before
the light of the Word and the Spirit of grace.”
Glass stones held together by resin symbolize the hands
of God that reach out to creation: the yellow hand of
Light and the red hand of the Spirit. The whole cosmos
is filled with the light and the life of God.